Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Abandoned: White Noise (Don DeLillo)

As the inaugural novel of this little experiment, I chose White Noise - primarily because I found I already had it. It has very nearly been enough to make me abandon the whole thing.

I wish I knew what it was about the novel that makes other think it great - at least I could then view it as literary calisthenics - the kind of grunt work you do to learn to appreciate some facet of literature (and this - this is exactly the kind of book people are referring to when they talk about LITtrachur).

Somewhere in the first chapter or two, I found myself PRAYING that the wife would be caught - inflagrante - with the coworker and the whole thing could go all prick lit. And maybe it does. But in the meantime, this puppy is going to the back of line - right in front of Deliverance, my other "do I have to?" listing.

No comments: